IT’S TIME FOR THE RUNNING OF THE GOLD - Jean Theoret has the U-37 Miss Beacon Plumbing dialed in with the second fastest qualifying speed of the day, 2mph behind the U16. The crew is finalizing their game plan as they get ready to defend their Gold Cup trophy. It’s shaping up to be a great weekend of racing. Good luck to Jean and the U-37 crew!
July 14th- Jean Theoret was on the course today doing some testing before the racing started. As he was testing a gearbox broke. No word on the extent of the damage at this time but the team is working very hard to get the boat ready for heat 1A. We’ll keep you posted on whether they make it to the 1A gun.
8am PT- There is an indefinite delay in Detroit. Weather reports show 10-30 mph wind gusts on the race course and this is a very dangerous condition for hydroplane racing. We’ll let you know when racing will resume. I’m sure this delay was welcomed by the team as they were preparing to replace the gearbox and motor on the boat to ready it for heat 1A.
July 15th- Be Careful of What You Wish For- We all wanted a repeat in Detroit. Well, we’ve got a repeat. Saturday racing was called off due to bad weather. Winds of up to 30mph were causing white caps on the Detroit river and that is never good in hydroplane racing. Today we’re running for the cup and like last year, it’s a long hard road to the final.
Heat 1A- U37 kicked off the day going up against the U16, U1, U13 and U100. Jean Theoret slowly worked himself in to 4th place and that’s where he finished. What we have been told is that Theoret’s ride suffered engine problems during the heat and he was just not able to make a significant run at the U16.
Heat 2B- Jean Theoret went up against the U16, U25 and U100. Jean Theoret wasn’t close at the start and jumped the gun. However, the U100 Did Not Start and Theoret ended up with a 3rd place finish.
Heat 3B- Sorry race fans. There will not be a second consecutive Gold Cup for the U-37. In 3B Jean Theoret hit a buoy which put the U-37 out of the final heat.
The U16 team walked away with the APBA Gold Cup for 2007. Rest assured, we’ll be back next year expecting to take back the cup.
We’re at the halfway point of the season and the team is looking forward to returning to the pacific time zone and the home state fans. For the last three races of the season we’ll have our webmaster on site so we’ll be able to bring you almost real time updates and with plenty of pics as well. We hope this will enhance your experience when visiting the raceday page during Tri Cities, Seattle and San Diego.